The damage of life, the healing of song

The damage of life, the healing of song

Monday, May 24, 2010

I heard it from my Friends about the things other friends said about LOST

A show isn't about it's beginning nor ending, it's about the journey. It's kinda funny I am sticking up for LOST. I'm sure Michael and Sean will get a kick out of that fact. Well, maybe not now but a few years ago they would have.

In the beginning I was on board. I remember seeing the Promos for the show with Dominic Monaghan (whose last name is an anagram for MO GAHANN! In DM fan lingo that's MORE DAVE!) saying, "Guys, where are we?" I WAS SOLD!!! Why? Well, I'm glad you asked. 'The Lord of The Rings' Trilogy is something Mike & I relish. I can not tell you how many times we have fallen asleep to Cate Blanchett's voice over talking about every age of Middle Earth. We adore these movies.

It should be noted that Mike and I have "boyfriends" in everything we see, watch, view. When I first met Mike in Vegas he would say, "damn, he is good-looking" while watching something. I would ask if that was his "boyfriend" on whatever it was we were watching. He didn't get it at first but loves and even upstages me now, wait for it. The first time I asked this he just gave me a strange look. I told him I have certain "boyfriends" actors, musicians, news anchors etc. [yes news anchors] Hey, the channel 6 anchor in Vegas on the 11pm news cast in '03 was CUTE AS HELL! Name? No idea... See, that's what's fun about it.

So Dominic Monaghan [LOST fans, that's Charlie] is my LOTR boyfriend. I melted for his portrayal of Meriadoc Brandybuck, or 'Merry' as he is commonly referred to in the books/films. Mikes "boyfriend" in the films is Pippin Peregrin or Billy Boyd as he is humanly known. So when I found out Dominic was in LOST I was on top of the world. My LOTR's boyfriend had moved to T.V. SA-WEET!

So we watched LOST & LOVED IT. We loved its strange unconventionlism (is that a word? It is now) Yet after watching the first 16 eps of season one I stopped watching. Never wanted to watch it again. I kept thinking, are these guys making this shit up as they go along? Do they honestly have an ending? I loved everything about the show mechanically but wanted to know if they had a solution FROM THE BEGINNING.

BSG the series was starting at this same point (after the mini in '03)the writers for this show wrote a "BSG bible" (their words). Things that would be concrete, never change. I felt LOST never had this so it was easy for me to dis it, for lack of a better phrase.

After season 1 was over I had a conversation with Sean and he said he really wanted me to start watching again. In my mind I was a NO. However, after many talks about the show and where it was going I agreed to watch the last few eps of season 1. I was so not convinced. 4 months later Sean asked me to watch the premiere of season 2. He is convincing sometimes. I agreed. I asked Mike to watch it with me and he opted out. I watched the first 5 eps and gave up. Why? I'm not sure. I would chalk it up to not having anyone to enjoy or hate it with. Things are better or worse when you have someone to talk about it with. Mike was so out. Totally didn't care. So I didn't.


So I dont even remember when it was but Sean started texting Mike. (Mid season 3 I think) Mike and Sean still had never met at that point. I don't know why but Mike said he was going to give LOST another chance and bought the first season. He watched the entire 1st season in one weekend. I could hear him yelling from the other room, THAT'S RIGHT YOU F'ING BITCH! I would walk in with the 'who the fuck are you yelling at face on' and he would say, Kate just got her ass handed to her. I am so hating her right now! But I love her too. She's good.

A few weeks later both of us have re-watched every episode from season one & two and all the DVR'd season three shows. TWICE & in some cases THRICE because we can't get enough of this show. Plus, amazingly it fills in the 8 month gaps of BSG that the fucking assholes at the Sci-Fi channel [NBC] has forced upon us regularly. NBC, you're lucky that you are the gayest network & subsidiaries out there or I'd be flaming you like an Evangelical preacher would a fag in church right now. Pun intended.

Then it happened. One night after an episode of LOST Mike texted Sean. Sean texted Mike back. I do not remember what was said at all. I only remember this: I had put my headphones in and put on an album. Depeche Mode: Music For The Masses. I was two songs in, "The Things You Said." I was looking over at Mike and he was smiling. I took one earpiece out and asked what? He said that Sean had said something about the show and he went back to texting him back.

The things you said had always meant something different to me. Something evil almost. But on that night that song morphed into something completely different.
In LOST's honour I won't explain it fully. I think I've told you enough to draw your own conclusions.

No comments:

Post a Comment