The damage of life, the healing of song

The damage of life, the healing of song

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Wbhen the wBody speaks

July '00 - April '01

DE-PECHE-MODE is so coming out with a new album! A NEW ALBUM! Not a double singles album. A NEW ALBUM! How long has it been since a body of new material? 5 YEARS. Still fucked-up DM-Spiritually after Alan's departure in '95 I am still all for Depeche Mode. The album Ultra was brilliant. Different? Yes. But fucking brilliant. And although the Singles Tour was not even close to anything I would have ever wanted to see DM do it was what was needed for all of the remaining band members. If you are reading this you know why.

Note: If you have read my blogs you know I don't rehash heartache: friend, band member, family member unless it is super vital to the particular blog. And then if so it is with the utmost respect. Please refer to the first blog for my rules.

So I am going online everynight on the old Depeche Mode website which wasn't an official site at all it was on the old WB board. Many bands were linked from here so it was a great place to talk about your favourite band. I was up there everynight (morning)and met some really amazing people. Two especially great people Dawn & Lauren were constants. We talked non-stop about all things mode and soon after were emailing like mad men & women.

The still title-less Exciter was 4 months from release and I was checking everyday on Depechemode.tv, Napster and one other site. Nothing ever happened. Always the notice of 'Not today' 'No Results' or the horrible 'I don't think so'. Pretty disheartening but I don't give up on Depeche Mode. The songs are there to be found. I NEED THEM to be, if for no other reason so I can buy 20 copies and give them out to my non- DM friends and convert them which I have done with every DM album release. So one day, February 25th (5am), after work I start my search on all the sites. Site #1. Not Today. Site #2. When the Body Speaks-Depeche Mode. Uh.......

By 8am I had the entire Exciter album. By that time I had also listened to When The Body Speaks in it's imperfect form for the 20 somethingth time. I knew it by heart. It would go on to become my favourite track off Exciter and one of my all-time DM favs but I never knew that it would also be the silent lighthouse blinking warning of a potentially unfaithful boyfriend who would crush trust after 5 years and break a real bond 6 months later while I was in Los Angeles during The Tour of Pain. Literally giving meaning to when the body speaks. His own body anyway.



TOUR OF PAIN EPIC CONTINUED TOMORROW & EVERDAY UNTIL AUGUST 19TH (The Final Day of the EXCITER North American Tour) PROLOUGE ON September 11th.

No comments:

Post a Comment